Monday, March 17, 2008

God,s LOVE shown in the Cross


Good Friday of Our Lord’s Passion
My dear brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ,
The Legends of Hasidic Judaism include the story of a precious gift. Having driven Adam and Eve from Eden, God is moved to pity at their plight. He gives them one of Heaven’s most precious pearls- a tear. “When grief overtakes you and your hearts ache so that you are not able to endure it and great anguish grips your soul,” then there will fall from your eyes this tiny tear. Your burdens will grow lighter then”.
Only memories release tears. Today we remember what we constantly forget: God’s dream of peace and unity, his longing to heal our wounds and restore our innocence. Today God has taken upon himself in Jesus the pain of innocent suffering, the agony of all who have fallen victim to failed human love. We remember, and we weep.
Jesus of Nazareth is dead, and the sign he has left us is the rough wood of his saving cross. A symbol of His love for us. To make us beautiful he took our wounds and drawbacks.
Let me tell you a true Story:"Can I see my baby?" the happy new mother asked. When the bundle was nestled in her arms and she moved the fold of cloth to look upon his tiny face, she gasped. The doctor turned quickly and looked out the tall hospital window. The baby had been born without ears. Time proved that the baby's hearing was perfect. It was only his appearance that was marred. When he rushed home from school one day and flung himself into his mother's arms, she sighed, knowing that his life was to be a succession of heartbreaks.
He blurted out the tragedy. "A boy, a big boy...called me a freak." He grew up, handsome for his misfortune. A favorite with his fellow students, he might have been class president, but for that. He developed a gift, a talent for literature and music. "But you might mingle with other young people," his mother reproved him, but felt a kindness in her heart.
The boy's father had a session with the family physician. Could nothing be done? "I believe I could graft on a pair of outer ears, if they could be procured" the doctor decided. Whereupon the search began for a person who would make such a sacrifice for a young man. Two years went by. Then, "You are going to the hospital, son. Mother and I have someone who will donate the ears you need. But it's a secret" said the father.
The operation was a brilliant success, and a new person emerged. His talents blossomed into genius, and school and college became a series of triumphs. Later he married and entered the diplomatic service. "But I must know!" He urged his father. "Who gave so much for me? I could never do enough for him."
"I do not believe you could," said the father, "but the agreement was that you are not to know...not yet." The years kept their profound secret, but the day did come… one of the darkest days that ever pass through a son.
He stood with his father over his mother's casket. Slowly, tenderly, the father stretched forth a hand and raised the thick, reddish-brown hair to reveal . . . that the mother had no outer ears.
"Mother said she was glad she never let her hair be cut," he whispered gently, "and nobody ever thought mother less beautiful, did they"?
Yes dear brothers and sisters, Jesus Disfigured to make us Beautiful. Jesus said, I call your friends and not servants. Real beauty lies not in the physical appearance, but in the heart. Real treasure lies not in what that can be seen, but what that cannot be seen. Real love lies not in what is done and known, but in what that is done but not known. Jesus like a good friend lays down his life. “There is no greater love than laying down one’s life for his friends”. Words of Jesus proved to be totally true in his death on the cross.
Isaiah 52:13 – 53:12, “He was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole and by his bruises we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have all turned to our own way and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.”
Fr Maximilian Kolbe was a Polish Franciscan priest who was arrested by Nazis in February of 1941 for publishing unapproved literature. They sentenced him to hard labor at the Auschwitz concentration camp. In August of that same year a prisoner escaped. When he was not recaptured the Nazis took a reprisal. They lined up the other prisoners and picked out ten to die in the starvation bunker. One of the men selected was a farmer named Franciszek Gajowniczek. He was in Auschwitz only because he was Jew. When Franciszek was selected, he cried out, "My wife, my children!"
Hearing that cry Fr. Kolbe stepped forward. He said to the guard, "I am a Catholic priest. I have no family like this man. Allow me to take his place." The guard hesitated, then agreed. Maximilian Kolbe, along with the nine others, was placed in the starvation bunker for a slow and agonizing death. After fourteen days, four were still alive and only one was fully conscious--Fr. Kolbe himself. The Nazis needed the starvation bunker for other prisoners so they injected Fr. Kolbe and the three others with carbolic acid.
Pope Paul VI solemnly declared Fr. Kolbe who had died only thirty years before as Blessed Maximilian Kolbe. After the applause died down, the Holy Father had a surprise which sent a thrill through the whole congregation. He introduced the man seated next to him ; Franciszek Gajowniczek. He survived the concentration camp and has devoted his life to telling others what Fr. Kolbe did for him.
If Franciszek Gajowniczek has that much gratitude to Fr. Kolbe, how much should we have this evening to Jesus? What Maximilian Kolbe did for that Jewish prisoner, Jesus has done for each one of us. He died in our place.
It is the moment, I believe, to hear again the admonishment of Dante Alighieri:Christians, be serious in taking action: Do not be like a feather to every wind,Nor think that every water cleanses you. You have the New and the Old TestamentAnd the Shepherd of the Church to guide you; Let this be all you need for your salvation …
Through his death on a cross God proved that God is love! It has been said that, if all the Bibles of the world were to be destroyed by some cataclysm(disaster) or iconoclastic rage and only one copy remained; and if this copy was also so damaged that only one page was still whole, and likewise if this page was so wrinkled that only one line could still be read: if that line was the line of the First Letter of John where it is written that "God is love!" the whole Bible would have been saved, because the whole content is there. God is love, and the cross of Christ is the supreme proof, the historical demonstration.
The great news is that Good Friday affirms that we are not alone in the tomb. Jesus is there. In the Letter to the Hebrews, the author says, "We have not a God that is incapable of feeling our weaknesses with us, but we have one who has been tempted in every way that we are." (Heb 4:14-16)
One day, I woke early in the morning to watch the sunrise.
Ah the beauty of God’s creation is beyond description.
As I watched, I praised God for His beautiful work.
As I sat there, I felt the Lord’s presence with me.
He asked me,
“Do you love me?”
I answered,
“Of course, God! You are my Lord and Savior!”
Then He asked,
“If you were physically handicapped, would you still love me?”
I was perplexed. I looked down upon my arms, legs and the rest of my body and wondered how many things I wouldn’t be able to do, the things that I took for granted.
And I answered, “It would be tough Lord, but I would still loveYou.”
Then the Lord said,
“If you were blind, would you still love my creation?”
How could I love something without being able to see it? Then I thought of all the blind people in the world and how many of them still loved God and His creation.
So I answered, “It’s hard to think of it, but I would still love you.”
The Lord then asked me,
“If you were deaf, would you still listen to my word?”
How could I listen to anything being deaf? Then I understood.
Listening to God’s Word is not merely using our ears, but our hearts. I answered,
“It would be tough, but I would still listen to your word.”
The Lord then asked,
“If you were mute, would you still praise My Name?”
How could I praise without a voice?
Then it occurred to me: God wants us to sing from our very heart and soul. It never matters what we sound like. And praising God is not always with a song, but when we are persecuted, we give God praise with our words of thanks. So I answered,
“Though I could not physically sing, I would still praise Your Name.
And the Lord asked,
“Do you really love Me?”
With courage and a strong conviction, I answered boldly,
“Yes Lord! I love You because You are the one and true God!”
I thought I had answered well, but God asked,
“THEN WHY DO YOU SIN?”
I answered, “Because I am only human. I am not perfect.”
“THEN WHY IN TIMES OF PEACE DO YOU STRAY THE FURTHEST?
WHY ONLY IN TIMES OF TROUBLE DO YOU PRAY THE EARNEST?”
No answers. Only tears.
The Lord continued:
“Why only sing at fellowships and retreats? Why seek Me only in times of worship? Why ask things so selfishly? Why ask things so unfaithfully?”
The tears continued to roll down my cheeks.
“Why are you ashamed of Me? Why are you not spreading the good news? Why in times of persecution, you cry to others when I offer My shoulder to cry on? Why make excuses when I give you opportunities to serve in My Name?”
I tried to answer, but there was no answer to give.
“You are blessed with life. I made you not to throw this gift away. I have blessed you with talents to serve Me, but you continue to turn away. I have revealed My Word to you, but you do not gain in knowledge. I have spoken to you but your ears were closed. I have shown My blessings to you, but your eyes were turned away. I have sent you servants, but you sat idly by as they were pushed away. I have heard your prayers and I have answered them all.”
“DO YOU TRULY LOVE ME ?”
I could not answer. How could I? I was embarrassed beyond belief. I had no excuse. What could I say to this? When the tears had flowed, I said, “ Please forgive me Lord. I am unworthy to be Your child.”
The Lord answered,
“ That is My Grace, My child.”
I asked, “ Then why do you continue to forgive me? Why do You love me so?”
The Lord answered,
“ Because you are My creation. You are my child. I will never abandon you.
When you cry, I will have compassion and cry with you.
When you shout with joy, I will laugh with you.
When you are down, I will encourage you.
When you fall, I will raise you up.
When you are tired, I will carry you.
I will be with you till the end of days, and I will love you forever.”
Never had I cried so hard before. How could I have been so cold? How could I have hurt God as I had done? I asked God,
“How much do You love me?”
The Lord stretched out His arms, and I saw His nail-pierced hands.
I bowed down at the feet of Christ, my Savior.
And for the first time, I truly prayed.

No comments: