Monday, December 15, 2008


Two sons of the Father

In order for our faith to be alive and authentic, our deeds must match our words and our words must be of God.
In the Parable of the Two Sons (Matthew 21:28-32), Jesus teaches us that simply saying the right words in an attempt to gain favor without backing them up with good works is both hypocritical and prideful disobedience. These two sons represents us.
The disobedient younger son spoke the right words, but his deeds did not match them. He represents Israel, particularly those scribes and Pharisees who gave a good show of pious observance of their religion, but who were interiorly prideful, self-centered and disobedient. When faced with the truth proclaimed by John the Baptist, they clung to self instead of humbly submitting themselves to their God.
The other son repented of his sinful words and obeyed his father, thus humbly doing the father’s will in the end. He represents all who repent and walk humbly with the Lord to do the right thing.
The first of the sons in the parable did not want to go and work in the vineyard: he did not want to suffer... This son also had two loves: the love of self, and the love of his father. First it is the love of self that has the upper hand, then it is the love of his father that dominates. Here he begins by loving himself, and replies to his father, "I will not." But, as this son has a upright conscience, it reproaches him for his attitude toward his father and, finally, it is his love for his father that wins out: he goes to work in the vineyard, he does the will of his father!
The two sons in the gospel stand for the two directions of the spiritual life: one moving closer to God’s will, the other moving away from it. The first son starts poorly. He refuses to do what the father asks. But in time he comes around and does the father’s will. The other son begins well. He says that he will do what is asked. But he does not follow through and ends in failure. There is a principle in the spiritual life which states, “Unless you are moving forward, you are falling backward.” What you do not use, you lose.
This excerpt from the Universal Prayer of Pope Clement XI seems very appropriate to this endeavor.
[Lord God] I adore You as my first beginning, I long for You as my final end. I praise You as my constant helper, and call on You as my loving protector. Guide me by Your Wisdom, correct me with Your Justice, comfort me with Your Mercy, protect me by Your Power… Lord, enlighten my understanding, enflame my will, purify my heart, sanctify my soul. Help me to repent of my past sins and to rise above my human weaknesses and to grow stronger as a Christian…

1 comment:

Angelina de Maria said...

Padre desde este humilde lugar y lejano de Argentina, le envio este pequeño libro y ruego a Dios que le interese. puede comunicarse conmigo o sino silenciosamente dar a conocer esta nueva Advocacion de la Virgen Maria, que Dios lo protega y la Madre lo envuelva en su manto. gracias.